Have you heard the word “Good” today yet? We use it so freely, so chances are you’ve used “Good” in a conversation today …… we hear it all around us:
- Are they a “good” person?
- Have you had a “good” day?
- God is so “Good”!
- My kids were not “good” today.
But what are we really meaning when we say this? What is a good person to you? A hectic question to ask yourself is if people consider you a good person?
When we list the fruit of the spirit I think Goodness is one of the most least explored fruits of the spirit. We just take it at face value and think…… of course I’m a “Good” person but we don’t always look deeper into it and how important it really is.
Definition: The quality of being Morally Good or Virtuous.
Synonyms: Virtue, Integrity, Righteousness, Morality, Ethical, Upstanding, Uprightness, Dignity, Rightness
Goodness in Greek is “Agathosune,” which means “an uprightness of heart and life”. True Goodness is bringing Virtue and Holiness into action. It is when you lead a life full of Righteousness and have a Pure heart. When you are a person of Integrity (true to your word) and walking the straight and narrow … then you are a truly “Good” person. God warns us in Matthew 7.14 that this won’t always be easy, because “small is the gate and narrow is the road that leads to life”.
- “God is Good all the time” (2 Corinthians 9.8) and since He “made us in His image” (Genesis 9.6), we should be GOOD! Then in the same way God’s Goodness draws people to Him, we will draw people to God and salvation through shining Goodness. So how powerful and important do you think Goodness is now!?!
- In 3 John 1.11 we read that “He who does Good (as a way of Life) is of God, but He who does Evil (as a way of life) has not seen God”. This is a world impacting and character shaking verse! It sure motivates me to start refining and growing my “Goodness” with urgency! 😉
- God made us for Goodness, “ For we are His workmanship. Created in Christ Jesus for GOOD works” (Ephesians 2.12), “Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do GOOD to all people.” (Galatians 6:10). So we need to prioritize Goodness and “Trust in the Lord and do GOOD” (Psalm 37:3) because we were made to do so!
- Good is doing what is right and avoiding Evil. So at all times “Turn from evil and do good” (Psalm 34:14). Try with all your power to “not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with GOOD” (Romans 12:21). Good overpowers Evil… so there is Great Power in Goodness!
- Goodness is being a person of trust and integrity. So “Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen” Ephesians 4:29. Be true and genuine to all those around you. Encourage each other and dont gossip. Gossip only breaks down but if you are a truly Good person, you will build others up.
- Goodness protects us because God tells us in 1 Peter 3.13 that “Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do GOOD?” There is Great Power in Goodness because it overcomes Evil.
When goodness is a true virtue of yours, it radiates and shines out of you whether you are in public or behind closed doors. It becomes a part of you, it is an authentic moral Goodness.
If you think of the Goodness of food you think of its nutritional value. These days it is all about high nutritional food and clean eating. We should be this “Good” and “Clean” food to the world….full of Integrity and Virtue. So how Nutritious are you?
I Challenge you to have a week of Moral Excellence. Shine your Beautiful Goodness this week you powerful Women of God! 🙂