Now for any Women who has had children, self-control is a high priority….. We usually only associate it to fitting back into our pre-pregnancy jeans though…. But it is SO much more than this!
Definition: The ability to control oneself, in particular one’s emotions and desires, especially in difficult situations
Synonyms: self-discipline, self-restraint, self-mastery, will power, composure
We did all the Fruits of the Spirit except Self Control! And what an important one it is! All the Fruits actually depend on your level of Self-control ….
- Self Control in your Anger to show Love, Kindness and Gentleness
- Self-control in your Worry to choose Peace
- Self Control in your hard times to display Joy
- Self Control in your betrayal to still be faithful
- Self-control towards your husband in a fight… and keep control of your emotions
- Self-control towards my children… to not react in rage and irritation when they push you
So Self Control, or control of self, is an incredibly important quality for us as Christians to have! But we need to remember we can’t do it our own strength. To display true self control, we need God’s spirit to help us.
That is why it is a Fruit of the SPIRIT! We can’t do it alone! God says he has given us a spirit of control and it is HIS SPIRIT who will help us be self-controlled in our thoughts, words and actions.
I have found that whatever topic I am preparing, I am then challenged in that area… so this past week I’ve been asking myself,
- Do I only speak life to those around me or do I slander and gossip?
- Do I only think good thoughts or do I focus on my own selfish negative thoughts?
- Are my actions controlled when I am angry with my children or do I react in anger?
- Can I say no to sugary donuts and chocolate…? And this is usually No! Ha Ha!
One thing I think all of us mothers do, is we are too critical of ourselves and put too much pressure on ourselves! Don’t ever forget you are only human, and are striving to be the best mom and wife you can be but we will make mistakes!
We won’t always react in a controlled manner; we won’t always be kind and gentle. The same way God has grace for you, you need to have grace for yourself. Love yourself. Motherhood is HARD! Sometimes our buttons are over pushed. But rise above it, grow from it, apologize and move on.
Proverbs offers us such wisdom of the power and importance of Self-control:
- “A man without self-control is like a city broken into and left without walls” Prov 25.28
- “He will die for lack of self-control, he will he lost because of his great foolishness” Prov 5.23
- “Better to be patient than powerful, better to have self-control than to conquer a city” Prov 16.32
No one wants to be like a broken city or lost in foolishness due to lack of self-control. Self-control should govern our whole being- mind, tongue and actions- and not just be related to your ability to say no to another piece of cake!
So hello Self-Controlled Mama, you have the power and spirit in you to do it, never say you can’t because if you are a child of God, All things are possible (Luke 1.37) 😉